As the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 continues to spread globally, health officials have emphasized regular hand washing is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of infection. Many of us are exercising proper hand washing techniques, such as scrubbing for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, and using alcohol-based hand sanitizers that contain at least 60% alcohol.
Especially in winter, frequent hand washing can lead to, or aggravate dry skin issues. This is because soap and water rinses away germs, but it also strips the natural protective oils in your skin. If your skin is irritated, your hands get dry, cracked and raw. Cracks that form on skin can increase your risk of contracting infections and also lead to conditions like eczema.
How do we take care of our hands when we’re frequently washing them to prevent coronavirus? The answer is in preventative measures.
Keep your hands clean and moisturised.
Try to opt for hand soap that is gentle and fragrance-free.
Once you’ve washed your hands for 20 seconds, pat them dry instead of rubbing then. This helps to leave a small amount of dampness. Once your hands are dry, immediately use emu oil, or emu oil-based cream to seal in the moisture.
Emu Spirit is our recommended moisturiser due to its many skin benefits:
– Emu oil’s anti-inflammatory properties make it a soothing moisturiser
– Emu oil treats conditions such as dermatitis and eczema
– Emu oil has a similar fatty compound to human skin, meaning it absorbs into the skin faster than other oils and creams
– Emu oil contains oleic acid, which has been found to actually help stimulate skin-cell regeneration
– Emu oil contains Vitamin A, known for its skin repair and antioxidant properties
– Emu oil contains sapogens, used as skin softeners
Tip: If you suffer from eczema or you’re prone to very dry and cracked skin in the winter, we recommend applying emu oil before going to bed. Apply emu oil to your hands and put on a pair of cotton gloves. Wear them for a few hours before bed, or even overnight. All that downtime helps to hydrate the skin, restore its natural oils and heal your skin.