5 Australian native bushfoods that have surprising health benefits
By Emu Spirit | September 23, 2021 | Blog
We’ve all heard of ‘superfoods’, usually found in our salads and smoothies, but did you know Australia is home to some superfoods too? Known most commonly as ‘bushfood’, these are ingredients native to the land that have been consumed and utilised by Indigenous Australians for thousands of years.
There are 6500 ingredients native to Australia. Today we highlight just 5 Australian native bushfoods that have surprising health benefits:
This small green fruit grows exclusively in the Northern Australian outback. It is tart in flavour and is commonly dried and ground into a fine powder for an easy superfood boost to your oatmeal, smoothie, soups or desserts.
Kakadu plum has been harvester for thousands of years for medicine, used to treat colds and headaches, and as an antiseptic. It’s particularly high in Vitamin C (a strong antioxidant that protects your body against free radicals) and is a great source of fibre (promoting good god health and improving digestion). Additionally, it is high in essential micronutrients including folate, icon, copper and Vitamin E.
This beautiful little shrub is native to Australia’s tropical rainforests. It smells and tastes much like zesty lemon, and is widely used in desserts, teas, confectionery and more.
Traditionally used as medicine, it has powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties. It’s also known to be an effective remedy for a sore throat, and a natural remedy to cold and flu symptoms.
Native to Western Australia, this shrub produces medium-sized nuts that are packed with delicate flavour similar to Macadamia nuts. It’s a great addition to yoghurts, as a granola topper, trail mix, and as a yummy nut spread.
The high protein and fibre content offers great health benefits, as well as being low carb. Each nut is packed with monounsaturated Omega 9 fatty acids and ximenynic acid, both strong anti-inflammatories.
This plant grows across most of the Australian mainland, and its distinctively unique flavour is similar to hazelnut and ground coffee beans. It is roasted and ground into a coarse powder, where it can be used in patisseries, ice cream, pancakes and even liqueurs.
Wattleseed is higher in protein than fish. It contains potassium, iron and zinc, as well as being Low GI carbohydrates.
Last but not least, emu oil has been a tried and tested natural remedy for Indigenous Australians for thousands of years. The pure filtered and refined oil is virtually tasteless, and can thus be added to juices, salads and muesli (as well as being used topically on the skin).
Emu oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory that heals a range of inner and outer health ailments including muscle and joint pain, scars and skin burns, eczema and arthritis. Extremely high in Omega 369 fatty acids, emu oil may help reduce pain and swelling, itching and discomfort; healing from the inside out.
- Why Emu Oil is a Must-Have for Springtime
- How the Team use Emu Spirit at Home
- How to Deal with Eczema Flare Ups
- 15 Tips for Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 5 Australian native bushfoods that have surprising health benefits
- National Stroke Week 2021: Eat Well
- Our Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
- Managing Chronic Pain
- Three places on earth where people live the longest
- Foods that promote gut health
- 5 Ancient Health Remedies
- Emu Spirit for Every Day Life
- The Benefits of Omega 369 for Hair
- Emu Oil for Eczema
- Why Emu Oil is Great For Kids
- Have You Tried Emu Oil Aromatherapy?
- 5 Ways to use Emu Oil for Pets
- How to Deal with Work-From-Home Body Pains
- 5 Ways to Treat Sore Muscles
- 4 Summer Treats with Emu Oil
- 5 Healthy New Year’s Resolutions
- Healthier Alternatives to Serve at Christmas
- Have you tried adding Emu Oil to these 5 Everyday Items?
- Have you used Emu Oil in these 4 Unusual Ways?
- Before and After using Emu Spirit
- Learn More about Emu Spirit
- 4 Ways to use Emu Oil
- Staying Healthy at Home
- Protecting Your Skin in Winter
- Emu Oil: Your Skin Healer
- 7 Natural Immunity Boosters for 7 Days of the Week
- Emu Oil for Internal Health
- Taking Care of Your Skin in the Winter
- Multi-Uses for Pure Emu Oil
- Taking Care of Your Health & Hands during COVID-19
- Easy Immunity Boosters for your Autumn Health Routine
- Natural Immunity Boosters for Autumn
- How to use Emu Oil for Babies
- Why You Should Use Emu Oil for Massage Therapy
- 10 Uses for Emu Oil You May Not Know About
- Massage Techniques for Arthritis with Emu Oil
- How to Deal with Chronic Pain
- Emu oil: this summer’s secret weapon
- What is emu oil and why is it good for you?
- 5 Tips For a Healthier Christmas
- 5 Tips for a Happy, Healthy Summer
- Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
- What Medications Cause Water Retention?
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212