9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
By Emu Spirit | September 22, 2021 | Blog
As we age, our skin will gradually lose its elasticity and thin out. This is normal and part of the skin’s natural ageing process. However, there are factors that can cause your skin to start ageing at an accelerated rate – not something you want to experience earlier than you should! A big part of ‘premature skin ageing’ is a result of free radical activity in the body.
What are free radicals?
Free radicals are molecules that are produced by environmental exposures like tobacco smoke and radiation (including radiation from the sun and other sources of UV rays such as tanning beds). Free radicals are also produced when your body breaks down food. As a result, your skin may start to show signs of premature ageing.
How do we combat premature ageing?
With antioxidants! Antioxidants are naturally occurring substances that may provide protection against the effects of damaging free radicals on the cells in your body, including your skin. Antioxidant ingredients are incorporated in several skincare products already, and are being actively studied in clinical trials for medicinal uses.
Here are 9 antioxidants to look for when choosing a skincare product:
Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant, is a carotenoid found in red fruits and vegetables. In addition to being a healthy choice for your diet, it’s a great choice for improving skin texture because it promotes collagen production and reduces the DNA damage that leads to wrinkles. To get the most benefit from this powerful antioxidant, you can either take a daily supplement or look for skin care products that contain it in topical formulas. Lycopene is easily absorbed by the skin.
2. Green Tea
Green Tea has become a superfood in its own right — it can help prevent everything from heart disease and cancer to skin aging and weight gain. The secret ingredients are chemicals called catechins, which are antioxidants that can clear cell damage on the skin and repair wrinkles, blemishes and other skin impurities. When applied to the skin, green tea can reduce sun damage by reducing inflammation and tackling free radicals.
Green Tea extract can be found in our Emu Spirit Night Crème and Hand & Body Crème.
3. Coffee Berry
A common ingredient in anti-aging formulas, coffee berry prevents collagen damage, reduces wrinkles and protects the skin against damage. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which can lessen the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, leading to more youthful looking skin.
The antioxidant resveratrol is commonly found in grapes, nuts, fruits, and red wine, among others. Separate studies have shown that when topically applied, resveratrol protects against UVB-mediated cutaneous damage and inhibits UVB-mediated oxidative stress.
5. Grape Seed
Grape seed is extracted is rich in proanthocyanidins, which are potent antioxidants with strong free radical scavenging activities. Grape seed extract has been shown to be an even stronger scavenger of free radicals than vitamins C and E.
6. Vitamin C
Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) is an essential nutrient that can only come from the healthy fruits and vegetables that contain it.
It works in two ways: as an antioxidant, as well as a booster of collagen formation — both of which are important to preserving and maintaining skin’s youthful appearance. However, boosting your intake of vitamin C-rich foods does not appear to impact your skin to any measurable degree, so companies are studying whether it can be absorbed through the skin directly via topical creams and lotions. Vitamin C is being studied for its impact on preventing and reversing aging skin.
The best natural sources of Vitamin C are rosehip and citrus fruit such as pink grapefruit, sweet orange and mandarin – all ingredients found in our Emu Spirit Day Crème and Night Crème.
Genistein is derived from soybeans with the capacity to inhibit UV-induced oxidative DNA damage. Studies found that either topically applied or orally supplemented, genistein was shown to effectively protect human skin against UVB-induced skin photo damage.
Niacinamide (vitamin B3) is a powerful antioxidant that has shown to exhibit anti-inflammatory and depigmenting properties. It has also shown to improve the texture and tone of the skin, as well as reduce fine lines, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation.
9. Vitamin E
Vitamin E (tocopherol) is an antioxidant that is already present in the skin and found in various foods, such as vegetables, seeds and meat. It helps the skin look younger by boosting collagen production and in turn, reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and age spots.
Vitamin E is available in two forms: alpha-tocopherol (alcohol-based) and alpha-tocopherol acetate. Alpha-tocopherol acetate does not penetrate the skin as easily, so make sure you’re reading the labels closely to get maximum benefit of vitamin E.
Our Emu Spirit Skincare Range contains natural Vitamin E, which has been added to help combat those harmful UV rays and other sources of radiation.
Shop our Emu Spirit Skincare Range online:
- Why Emu Oil is a Must-Have for Springtime
- How the Team use Emu Spirit at Home
- How to Deal with Eczema Flare Ups
- 15 Tips for Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 5 Australian native bushfoods that have surprising health benefits
- National Stroke Week 2021: Eat Well
- Our Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
- Managing Chronic Pain
- Three places on earth where people live the longest
- Foods that promote gut health
- 5 Ancient Health Remedies
- Emu Spirit for Every Day Life
- The Benefits of Omega 369 for Hair
- Emu Oil for Eczema
- Why Emu Oil is Great For Kids
- Have You Tried Emu Oil Aromatherapy?
- 5 Ways to use Emu Oil for Pets
- How to Deal with Work-From-Home Body Pains
- 5 Ways to Treat Sore Muscles
- 4 Summer Treats with Emu Oil
- 5 Healthy New Year’s Resolutions
- Healthier Alternatives to Serve at Christmas
- Have you tried adding Emu Oil to these 5 Everyday Items?
- Have you used Emu Oil in these 4 Unusual Ways?
- Before and After using Emu Spirit
- Learn More about Emu Spirit
- 4 Ways to use Emu Oil
- Staying Healthy at Home
- Protecting Your Skin in Winter
- Emu Oil: Your Skin Healer
- 7 Natural Immunity Boosters for 7 Days of the Week
- Emu Oil for Internal Health
- Taking Care of Your Skin in the Winter
- Multi-Uses for Pure Emu Oil
- Taking Care of Your Health & Hands during COVID-19
- Easy Immunity Boosters for your Autumn Health Routine
- Natural Immunity Boosters for Autumn
- How to use Emu Oil for Babies
- Why You Should Use Emu Oil for Massage Therapy
- 10 Uses for Emu Oil You May Not Know About
- Massage Techniques for Arthritis with Emu Oil
- How to Deal with Chronic Pain
- Emu oil: this summer’s secret weapon
- What is emu oil and why is it good for you?
- 5 Tips For a Healthier Christmas
- 5 Tips for a Happy, Healthy Summer
- Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
- What Medications Cause Water Retention?
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212