How to Deal with Eczema Flare Ups
By Emu Spirit | September 22, 2021 | Blog
Changing seasons can often signal the start of an eczema flare up. If you suffer from eczema, or know someone who does, you’ll see the signs: from red and itchy skin rashes, inflamed reddish-brown or grey patches on your hands, feet, chest, neck, elbows and knees, to serious itching at night, raw and swollen skin from scratch, and even skin that cracks and leaks fluid! When you’re in the middle of a flare up, you feel like you’d do anything to calm down or prevent them from happening again.
These flare-ups can come and go, but there are ways to keep your eczema under control.
Here’s 5 things you can try, to help deal with eczema flare ups:
1. Know your triggers
Triggers are not the same for everyone. It could be the fabric of your clothes, pet dander, cigarette smoke, metals, perfume, temperature change, some foods, soaps, shampoos and detergents, or even stress. Talk to your doctor to pinpoint what irritates your skin and keep track of anything you use that seems to trigger a flare after you touch it.
2. Commit to a skincare routine
Consistency is key. Follow a skin care regimen to help control the condition of your skin. If your skin gets too dry, it can become itchy, scaly or even start to crack (which lets bacteria or allergens inside). To prevent dry skin, use a humidifier while you sleep, and get into the habit of applying a moisturising cream, lotion or body oil after a shower, and during the day.
3. Know your oils
Avoid olive oil, essential oils and aromatherapy oils – all known to irritate the skin. Instead, choose natural oils that can heal and hydrate your skin. Besides coconut oil (moisturising) and sunflower oil (hydrating), there is one other natural oil that plays an important role – emu oil, for healing. Emu oil has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that may reduce the redness, irritation and itchiness commonly caused by eczema lesions. It not only promotes healing of the skin, but can help prevent scarring too. Better still, it can be ingested (as well as applied topically) to help treat your eczema from within.
Tip: soak in a warm bath with a few drops of pure emu oil to ease itchiness and add moisture back to your skin.
4. Get your house in order
Make sure your immediate environment doesn’t cause your skin anymore grief. Dust, smoke, pet dander, sand – these tiny particles in the air can irritate your skin. Keep your home and office area clean, dust often, and avoid being around smokers if your skin is triggered. Then, take one step closer and investigate your wardrobe. Fabrics that are rough, too tight, too warm, too heavy or itchy can also trigger a flare up. Opt for soft clothes that are gentle and cooling on your skin. Wear loose clothing that doesn’t rub against your skin.
5. Try a ‘hands-on’ approach
For some eczema sufferers, emotional stress can trigger flare ups. Help lessen the stress in your life with massage. It’s a tried and tested wellness strategy for those living with eczema, because it can be a soothing way to work moisturizing oils deep into the skin, whilst also relaxing sore or tense muscles as a form of stress reduction.
Tip: switch out your regular massage oil for pure emu oil – it acts quickly and effectively to easily absorb deep into the skin, while also being hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic, meaning it has low skin irritation and doesn’t clog your pores. Perfect for sensitive and highly inflamed skin.
- Why Emu Oil is a Must-Have for Springtime
- How the Team use Emu Spirit at Home
- How to Deal with Eczema Flare Ups
- 15 Tips for Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 5 Australian native bushfoods that have surprising health benefits
- National Stroke Week 2021: Eat Well
- Our Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
- Managing Chronic Pain
- Three places on earth where people live the longest
- Foods that promote gut health
- 5 Ancient Health Remedies
- Emu Spirit for Every Day Life
- The Benefits of Omega 369 for Hair
- Emu Oil for Eczema
- Why Emu Oil is Great For Kids
- Have You Tried Emu Oil Aromatherapy?
- 5 Ways to use Emu Oil for Pets
- How to Deal with Work-From-Home Body Pains
- 5 Ways to Treat Sore Muscles
- 4 Summer Treats with Emu Oil
- 5 Healthy New Year’s Resolutions
- Healthier Alternatives to Serve at Christmas
- Have you tried adding Emu Oil to these 5 Everyday Items?
- Have you used Emu Oil in these 4 Unusual Ways?
- Before and After using Emu Spirit
- Learn More about Emu Spirit
- 4 Ways to use Emu Oil
- Staying Healthy at Home
- Protecting Your Skin in Winter
- Emu Oil: Your Skin Healer
- 7 Natural Immunity Boosters for 7 Days of the Week
- Emu Oil for Internal Health
- Taking Care of Your Skin in the Winter
- Multi-Uses for Pure Emu Oil
- Taking Care of Your Health & Hands during COVID-19
- Easy Immunity Boosters for your Autumn Health Routine
- Natural Immunity Boosters for Autumn
- How to use Emu Oil for Babies
- Why You Should Use Emu Oil for Massage Therapy
- 10 Uses for Emu Oil You May Not Know About
- Massage Techniques for Arthritis with Emu Oil
- How to Deal with Chronic Pain
- Emu oil: this summer’s secret weapon
- What is emu oil and why is it good for you?
- 5 Tips For a Healthier Christmas
- 5 Tips for a Happy, Healthy Summer
- Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
- What Medications Cause Water Retention?
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212