Summer Bug Repellents
By Emu Spirit | January 22, 2022 | Blog
Summer is here and in full swing, and with the easing of many Covid-19 restrictions we are free to enjoy the outdoors again. However, nothing can dampen your day out quite like the menacing mosquito and its blistering bites.
Thankfully, plenty of products now exist which can spare you from getting bitten, so you to enjoy your time in the sun in itch-free peace. However, not all insect repellents are created equal and it can be hard to decide which is the most effective while also balancing any potential side effects.
Here are some summer bug repellents that you can consider this summer.
N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide (commonly known as DEET) is a synthetic insect repellent which was developed by the U.S Army in 1946. It is one of the main ingredients in many commercial insect repellents and works by forming a vapour barrier at the surface of the skin, deterring mosquitos from landing. While DEET has a reputation of being highly effective at keeping the bugs at bay, it has also been known to cause skin irritation, redness and swelling in some cases and even seizures in an extreme minority of people. Therefore, we recommend giving natural repellents a go first.
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
With an inception also dating back to the 1940s, Lemon Eucalyptus Oil has one of the best reputations as a safe and natural mosquito repellent. Its effectiveness is even acknowledged by the U.S Centre for Disease Control (CDC) with a recent study showing that a mixture of 32 percent lemon eucalyptus oil provides up to 95% protection against mosquitoes for up to 3 hours after application with no real side effects.
Lemon Eucalyptus repellent can be found on the shelf of your local chemist or pharmacy or can even be made at home by creating a mixture of 1 part lemon eucalyptus oil to 10 parts sunflower oil or witch hazel.
If you plan to be stationary in one spot, such as at a picnic, BBQ or circling around a campfire, there are ways to keep the insects away without dousing yourself in protective oil repellent. Research has shown that burning thyme leaves on the fire or BBQ creates a scent that the mosquitos can’t stand. Studies have shown that burning thyme leaves offers 85% protection for up to 90 minutes, and while it may not smell good to the bugs, it smells nice to us humans.
Emu Oil is an effective but lesser-known natural insect repellent. It contains Terpenes which are natural substances that repel insects and has been used by the native Australian peoples for thousands of years. Another benefit of Emu Oil is that if you do get caught out in the swarm, an application of Emu Oil directly onto the skin will reduce bug bite swelling and alleviate any pain and itchiness. It’s one bottle you should definitely keep in your medicine cupboard!
- Natural Home Remedies to Heal from Within
- Discovering Doggy Dermatisis
- Summer Bug Repellents
- SunSmart with Emu Spirit
- Emu Spirit’s Gifts for Everyone
- Emu Spirit’s Healthy Gift Guide
- Self-Massage: An Inexpensive Solution
- The 3 most common types of Dermatitis to watch out for
- Why Emu Oil is a Must-Have for Springtime
- How the Team use Emu Spirit at Home
- How to Deal with Eczema Flare Ups
- 15 Tips for Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 5 Australian native bushfoods that have surprising health benefits
- National Stroke Week 2021: Eat Well
- Our Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
- Managing Chronic Pain
- Three places on earth where people live the longest
- Foods that promote gut health
- 5 Ancient Health Remedies
- Emu Spirit for Every Day Life
- The Benefits of Omega 369 for Hair
- Emu Oil for Eczema
- Why Emu Oil is Great For Kids
- Have You Tried Emu Oil Aromatherapy?
- 5 Ways to use Emu Oil for Pets
- How to Deal with Work-From-Home Body Pains
- 5 Ways to Treat Sore Muscles
- 4 Summer Treats with Emu Oil
- 5 Healthy New Year’s Resolutions
- Healthier Alternatives to Serve at Christmas
- Have you tried adding Emu Oil to these 5 Everyday Items?
- Have you used Emu Oil in these 4 Unusual Ways?
- Before and After using Emu Spirit
- Learn More about Emu Spirit
- 4 Ways to use Emu Oil
- Staying Healthy at Home
- Protecting Your Skin in Winter
- Emu Oil: Your Skin Healer
- 7 Natural Immunity Boosters for 7 Days of the Week
- Emu Oil for Internal Health
- Taking Care of Your Skin in the Winter
- Multi-Uses for Pure Emu Oil
- Taking Care of Your Health & Hands during COVID-19
- Easy Immunity Boosters for your Autumn Health Routine
- Natural Immunity Boosters for Autumn
- How to use Emu Oil for Babies
- Why You Should Use Emu Oil for Massage Therapy
- 10 Uses for Emu Oil You May Not Know About
- Massage Techniques for Arthritis with Emu Oil
- How to Deal with Chronic Pain
- Emu oil: this summer’s secret weapon
- What is emu oil and why is it good for you?
- 5 Tips For a Healthier Christmas
- 5 Tips for a Happy, Healthy Summer
- Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
- What Medications Cause Water Retention?
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212