By Emu Spirit | August 10, 2020 | Blog
Emu Spirit harnesses the unique properties of emu oil to produce our naturally effective and pure range of therapeutic products and skincare. We are fascinated by the emu and discovered some facts you might not know about this exceptional Australian native bird.
Here are some fast facts about the emu:
– The Emu (Dromaius Novae-Hollandiae) is a large flightless bird that is native to Australia.
– They are a member of the ratite family and can grow to 1.9m in height and weigh up to 60kg.
– It is the second largest bird in the world!
What we found the most fascinating was their unique feeding and breeding pattern.
The Australian climate produces very long and hot summers, with temperatures often above 45°C. Most Australian native plants, trees and grasses are only flowering in the spring and summer months. With very few protein sources available in winter, the Emu, being a very primitive animal, has developed one of the most unique feeding and breeding patterns of any animal.
Emus consume 3 to 4 kg of food per day through Spring & Summer, during which time they double their body weight to around 50 / 60kg by putting on a layer of “fat” between their muscle groups and their skin and around the gut cavity.
Once breeding commences in March – April, through to the end of the breeding season in September – October, food consumption reduces to an average of less than 100 grams per day. By the end of the breeding season, both male & female Emus will weigh approximately 30kg.
Their layer of fat has extraordinary preservation properties.
The female produces an 800 gram egg every 3 to 4 days. The male does all of the egg incubation, which takes 56 days. During this time, it neither eats nor drinks; it survives wholly on its stored fat reserves.
All of the requirements to sustain their body systems, egg production and the male Emu during egg incubation are stored in this layer of fat that keeps their bodies functioning at full capacity. It is due to this requirement that the fat has its amazing properties.
Emu oil was used by the Australian aborigines for thousands of years.
For many thousands of years the Australian aborigines ascribed great medicinal power to the Emu’s body fat and used it as an effective remedy for a variety of ailments both topically and internally – e.g. arthritis. In 1860, the effectiveness of Emu Oil as a topical emollient in western medicine was first recorded. In current time, emu oil comes in different forms – from capsules to oils & rubs, and even skincare. Its multi-purpose properties makes it a great every day product, whether it be temporarily treating arthritic pains, soothing burns and healing scars, improving skin complexion or as an Omega 369 supplement.
- Staying Healthy at Home
- Protecting Your Skin in Winter
- Emu Oil: Your Skin Healer
- 7 Natural Immunity Boosters for 7 Days of the Week
- Emu Oil for Internal Health
- Taking Care of Your Skin in the Winter
- Multi-Uses for Pure Emu Oil
- Taking Care of Your Health & Hands during COVID-19
- Easy Immunity Boosters for your Autumn Health Routine
- Natural Immunity Boosters for Autumn
- How to use Emu Oil for Babies
- Why You Should Use Emu Oil for Massage Therapy
- 10 Uses for Emu Oil You May Not Know About
- Massage Techniques for Arthritis with Emu Oil
- How to Deal with Chronic Pain
- Emu oil: this summer’s secret weapon
- What is emu oil and why is it good for you?
- 5 Tips For a Healthier Christmas
- 5 Tips for a Happy, Healthy Summer
- Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
- What Medications Cause Water Retention?
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212