What Medications Cause Water Retention?
By Emu Spirit | October 16, 2020 | Blog
Water retention occurs when excess fluids build up inside our bodies. It can cause swelling in the hands, feet, ankles and legs. It’s not a medical condition, but it could be a symptom of an underlying medical problem. In some cases, water retention occurs as a result of medication use.
Here are 5 common medications that may cause excess fluid build up:
This stands for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. They reduce inflammation associated with injuries and musculoskeletal disorders. Common NSAIDs include aspirin, naproxen and ibuprofen. They can cause fluid retention and swelling.
These reduce the joint pain and swelling associated with arthritis and other musculoskeletal disorders. Examples of corticostereoids include methylprednisone, prednisone and cortisone. The water retention side effect may lead to water weight gain, as the drugs can increase the amount of fat on the body (leading to actual weight gain).
Birth Control Pills
Also known as oral contraceptives, birth control pills contain oestrogen and other hormones that may cause fluid retention and swelling. When it’s administered in high doses, oestrogen causes water retention because it stimulates renin-angiotensin (a substance produced by the kidney that signals the kidneys to eliminate less fluid).
These drugs help the body use insulin more effectively, and combats the effects of type 2 diabetes. Thiazolidinediones often causes water retention and swelling. Examples of thiazolidinedione drugs include rosiglitazone and pioglitazone.
Blood Pressure Drugs
Hypertension (or high blood pressure) makes the heart work harder to pump blood. This can damage the blood vessels and increase the risk for complications. Doctors treat high blood pressure with beta-blockers, angiotensin receptor blockers, diuretics, ACE inhibitors and more. Anytime the blood pressure decreases, the kidneys release an enzyme called renin, which signals the adrenal glands to release the hormone aldosterone, which in turn signals the kidneys to retain sodium, causing water retention and increased blood volume.
While there’s no guarantees, you may be able to reduce water retention with a few simple tricks.
Eat less salt. Decrease your sodium intake by eating less meals that are high in salt, such as processed foods.
Increase your magnesium intake. Good sources of magnesium include nuts, whole grains, dark chocolate and leafy green vegetables.
Increase your Vitamin B6 intake. They are important for the formation of red blood cells and have been shown to reduce water retention. Foods rich in Vitamin B6 include bananas, potatoes, walnuts and meat.
Eat more potassium-rich foods. Potassium appears to reduce water retention by decreasing sodium levels and increasing urine production. Potassium-rich foods include bananas, avocados and tomatoes.
Move around, elevate your feet, drink more water.
If you’re looking for a natural alternative to treat inflammatory issues with as arthritis, psoriasis and inflamed muscles – consider using pure emu oil. The essential fatty acids Omega 3, 6 & 9 are essential to good health. Emu oil has cholesterol lowering properties, and contains anti-oxidants and powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
Always seek medical advice for water retention that does not improve on its own.
- Have you tried adding Emu Oil to these 5 Everyday Items?
- Have you used Emu Oil in these 4 Unusual Ways?
- Before and After using Emu Spirit
- Learn More about Emu Spirit
- 4 Ways to use Emu Oil
- Staying Healthy at Home
- Protecting Your Skin in Winter
- Emu Oil: Your Skin Healer
- 7 Natural Immunity Boosters for 7 Days of the Week
- Emu Oil for Internal Health
- Taking Care of Your Skin in the Winter
- Multi-Uses for Pure Emu Oil
- Taking Care of Your Health & Hands during COVID-19
- Easy Immunity Boosters for your Autumn Health Routine
- Natural Immunity Boosters for Autumn
- How to use Emu Oil for Babies
- Why You Should Use Emu Oil for Massage Therapy
- 10 Uses for Emu Oil You May Not Know About
- Massage Techniques for Arthritis with Emu Oil
- How to Deal with Chronic Pain
- Emu oil: this summer’s secret weapon
- What is emu oil and why is it good for you?
- 5 Tips For a Healthier Christmas
- 5 Tips for a Happy, Healthy Summer
- Is your Allergy Medication Interfering with your Appetite?
- What Medications Cause Water Retention?
- 5 Fun Ways to Drink Emu Oil
- The Difference Between a Chiropractor, Osteopath and Physiotherapist
- 10 ways Emu Oil helps in warmer weather
- 5 Natural Allergy Immunity Boosters
- 5 Tips for Healthy Winter Skin
- Emu Oil Benefits: Inside and Out
- 5 Natural Remedies to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health for the Whole Family: Using Emu Oil for Kids
- 3 Ways to Boost Up your Emu Oil Routine
- Using Emu Oil for Your Pet’s Health and Wellbeing
- 4 Ways to Start Your Morning Routine with Emu Spirit
- The Beauty of Emu Oil: Treating your Face, Hair & Nails
- 10 Every Day Health Hacks with Emu Oil
- The Secret Ingredient You Should Add to Your Skincare Routine
- Can Emu Oil Promote Better Gut Health?
- Getting to the Root of the Cause: Emu Oil for Hair Loss
- After-Sun Care with Emu Spirit
- Emu Oil: Health for the Whole Family
- 4 More Benefits of Emu Oil
- 4 Unknown Benefits of Emu Oil
- What Are Comedogenic Oils & Their Ranking?
- Emu Oil Skin Benefits?
- 5 Unexpected Things You Can Use Emu Oil For
- Protecting your skin and immune system in Spring
- 5 Benefits of Emu Oil and What Makes It Effective
- Using Emu Oil for the Digestive Tract
- Using Emu Oil for Asthma
- Emu Spirit for treating Redness and Rosacea
- 5 Reasons Why You Need To Try Emu Oil
- 5 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Chemical vs. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief
- Fish Oil vs. Emu Oil
- How to use Emu Oil to treat Allergies
- Emu Oil for Hair Loss?
- Research Suggests Anti-Inflammatories are Key to Treating Acne
- How To Use Emu Oil to Treat Psoriasis
- Why Emu Oil is Effective for Skin Treatment
- Is Emu Oil Effective for Treating Osteoarthritic Hand Pain?
- Emu Oil Can Help Treat Eczema
- 8 Tips to Manage Eczema Flare Ups this Season
- 4 Benefits of Emu Oil You Should Know
- 5 Skin Survival Tips for Changing Climate
- 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Keep You Healthy This Spring
- The Amazing Benefits of Pure Emu Oil for Your Skin
- 9 Antioxidants That Can Help Prevent Premature Skin Ageing
- How To Get Vitamin D During Winter in Australia
- How to Take Care of Your Skin in Winter
- 10 Arthritis Pain Relief Tips for Winter
- What are the Benefits of Emu Oil Capsules?
- The Emu
- Omega 6 – The Other Essential Fatty Acid
- How Do You Know What Is the Best Quality Emu Oil? (TGA Listed)
- Emu Spirit’s Natural Products for Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Emu Oil
- Suntec Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd
- Copyright © Emu Spirit .
- Website by Wolf
Prices in AUD
To speak with us call
1800 662 212